This particular ASP stops with that error, while a previous ASP, which accesses the same database and also uses "fire" as the DSN, works with no problems.
Before I took a look at this project, the entire application was just copied onto the new server, so there are most likely some very basic steps that have been missed in regards to deploying/publishing the site. I've tried to make sure that I set up the proper home directory and aliases and created the DSN and default documents, but I'm kind of new to this.
I've also realized that if I wait a few minutes in between actions (clicking on buttons that access the database), that the application seems to work. Of course, this is not good (waiting three or four minutes between actions).
I went into ODBC setup and looked at System DSN -> Configure -> Options and exclusive is not checked. I am sure that somehow/somewhere the DSN or database is set to only accept access to the database one connection at a time. Could you possibly push me in the right direction from here or let me know what's been missed?
If your app could not open the database at all, I would start by testing the DSN using the ODBC control panel utility. It may not have the rights to open the Access database file. However, since it can contact the database occasionally, it sounds like there is another user or application locking the Access database file.
Access is not a great multi-user database, though some applications do use it that way. I do understand your confusion, since the Exclusive option does imply that it is capable of sharing access to the database effectively. This is exactly the type of problem you run into, though. You'd be much better off using Microsoft SQL Server. You'd find the application would be much faster, too. If you want a free database, look at MySQL.
To avoid problems, make sure the NT server has the DSN removed. If you're still having problems, use the OPENFILES command-line tool to identify what has the Access database opened.
This was first published in May 2003