- Create my database using a painter similar to SYBASE CENTRAL.
- Create my user's launch ICON, data input screens, pre-canned reports, procedure to print labels and then update database records to set flag = 'labels printed.'
- Write sub routines that can be called by report procedures.
- As I paint these interfaces, I want third or fourth generation code stored editable files which I could later browse, edit, modify, or embed other code.
- I like SQL.
- I like drag and drop painting.
- I am used to the old IBI FOCUS and DB2 and FOXBASE code generators.
I cannot seem to find any one who knows what I am talking about. Everyone is talking about code generators for Web pages, which need browsers and are uneditable code.
It sure sounds like you described Microsoft Access.
This was first published in July 2002