If you're like most IT professionals, you're on a constant quest for answers. The SearchWinIT.com staff has compiled this list of the most frequently asked questions for each category from our Ask the Expert feature. Before posing your question to our Windows experts, browse the questions below, as your question may already have been answered. If you can't find the answer to your problem here, visit the ITKnowledge Exchange, where you can specifically target peers who have experienced and solved similar problems. Or for more learning resources, return to the FAQ homepage.
|Take a moment to meet our experts and be sure to view the complete list of expert topics.|
|FAQ: Active Directory||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- When and why should I create multiple domains in my Windows 2003 forest?
- Domain replication does not appear to be working and users cannot locate the domain. What is happening?
- Is it possible to upgrade straight from NT 4 to Windows Server 2003?
- So I'll take my chances with an NT 4 to WS 2003 migration - what's the best approach?
- What's the process for migrating to Windows 2000, then going with Windows 2003?
- How can I change hardware without wrecking the AD structure?
- What is the quickest way to change IP addresses throughout an office?
- How do I troubleshoot client computers that cannot connect to shared printers?
- When are multiple domains better than one?
- How do I add a second domain controller to an existing domain?
- Can users have full local rights without AD or network rights?
- Does the DNS server have to be installed on the domain controller?
|FAQ: Group Policy||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- How can I restrict unauthorized user downloads?
- Can I restrict the use of floppy and/or CD-ROM drives?
- Can I prevent users from installing software on his their own PCs?
- What is the best approach for restricting users without sacrificing admin privileges?
- How do I prevent users from opening and editing the registry in Win XP?
- How do I implement a Group Policy on Windows 98 systems?
- How do I implement Group Policy to cover multiple Windows versions?
- How do I hide the network neighborhood icons?
|FAQ: Terminal Services||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- Do I need an Office license for use with TS if Office is already installed on the client computer?
- My Terminal Server licensing server has the wrong numbers - how do I correct this?
- How do I limit user access so that they can only logon from one place at the time?
- Is there any way to block installation of bandwidth-hogging software?
- When I log into a TS session I can't see my drive mappings - why is this?
- How can I run DOS programs in full screen mode?
- Is it possible to have a Win2k service access a mapped drive?
- Does VPN connection improve Terminal Services security?
|FAQ: Desktop Administration||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- How can I hide desktop folders and icons?
- How can I lock down a user's laptop so he can't connect to another LAN?
- Getting 'can't log on locally' error on Windows 2000 machine
- Can my PC join more than one domain without reconfiguring each time?
- Problems trying to reinstall Win XP Pro?
- How can I reduce the size of user profiles?
- How do I remove programs from the Start Up menu?
- Is there a tool that shows how much disk space clients are using?
- Can't find former admin's password for Win 2000
- Can I give a client temporary local admin rights?
- How can I load software under admin but give different users access rights?
- Client can't get Outlook 2000 to work
- Having problems trying to format my C: Drive
- How can I remove the boot-up menu on Windows 2000?
- How do I remotely access a Windows 2000 desktop?
- How can I recover a lost password on Win XP Pro?
|FAQ: Server Administration||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- How do I recover a deleted user profile?
- What is the best approach for creating an exact copy of the C: drive?
- Can I connect to two networks with only one NIC?
- How can I convert a workgroup server to the primary domain server?
- How do I change the product key on a 2003 Server?
- Is there any way to speed up the login process?
- What server is best for optimal security and performance?
- How can I replace the domain controller machine?
- Is there any reason why I can't add a 2003 Server to a domain as DC?
|FAQ: OS Troubleshooting||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- Why do I get random system freeze-ups every 10-15 mins?
- Is there a way to restore user profiles from the registry backup?
- XP claims there's not enough space on the partition, which is baloney. How do I work around this?
- How do I safely merge two partitions into one?
- A virus has crippled my system. How can I restore Windows functionality?
- Do password re-setting programs work?
- How do I uninstall Win XP so I can reformat my hard drive?
|FAQ: Network Management||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- Can I use a server for everyday activities like web browsing?
- What's the most efficient way to defrag to avoid data loss?
- Why are my client computers having trouble connecting to shared printers?
- How do I set up my desktop to be a server and my other PCs as clients?
- What are the drawbacks to setting up a domain instead of a basic workgroup?
- How do we install extra drive space on our LAN?
- How can I determine which ports are running on a Windows machine?
- Why does it take so long to connect my Win XP machine to a domain?
- Why does my Win XP machine keep getting knocked off the server?
- How do I set up DNS for my internal domain?
- Is frequent defragging damaging to your hard drive?
- Is there a guide to help me configure Win 98 and Win XP on my home network?
|FAQ: SMS and SUS||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- How do I connect a server to an SUS server through a firewall?
- Why won't SUS work over my VPN?
- Why doesn't my workstation receive any patches?
- Does the SUS server update all MS server applications?
- How can I verify that the SUS client is installed properly?
- When do I need to set up SMS secondary site servers?
- Why can't my cumulative security patches be pushed via SMS?
- How do I install software on a client workstation remotely?
- Can you manually sync clients with a SUS server?
- Will the SUS service affect Terminal Services servers adversely?
- Can I install the SMS Advanced Client on Win2k machines with SP2?
- Can I distribute any Windows Installer (.msi) application using SMS?
|FAQ: IIS and Web Administration||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- Can IIS server automatically update IP addresses?
- How do I find a memory leak on an IIS server?
- How do I set up POP3 and SMTP on a server without Exchange?
- How can I add FTP to Win XP Pro?
- Why does NT Authority System keep shutting down my PC?
- Why can't outside browsers access my Web site on the server?
- Why does my WinXP machine get kicked off internal Web sites?
- Can I restrict Internet access through an NT4 server or workstation?
|FAQ: Management Tools||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- Can a firewall prevent spyware from entering the internal network?
- What is the best approach for getting rid of spyware, popups and other junk?
- What's the best way to stop spam e-mail on a desktop?
- Why does it take so long to log on to my domain?
- How do I recover the admin passwords on Win XP?
- Is there a tool that lets admins modify profile settings remotely?
- What's the best Internet monitoring software?
- Is there a way to limit bandwidth to specific computers on the network?
- How can I restrict users from seeing administrative tools?
- Can SMS 2003 work in a multi-domain environment via VPN?
- Need help moving a large amount of data from one server to another
- Do multiple instances of apps on one machine slow performance?
|FAQ: Career and Certification||View all in this category Table of Contents|
- How many exams do I have to complete to get MCP certification?
- What's the best web site to prepare for the MCP exam?
- What certifications can help me increase my income?
- Should I pursue certifications while looking for a job?
- What kind of work is there for MCSEs, MCSAs and MCSDs?
- Should I complete the Windows 2000 track or move on to the 2003 track?
- My current job title is putting off potential employers - how can I improve it?
- Is there a time limit for completing the MCSA certification?
- What's a good study plan for the A+ certification?
- What is the next step after becoming A+ certified?
- When are MCSE 2000 exams expiring?
- Are cert tests tougher if you don't have real world experience?
This was first published in December 2004