Your company is probably already conducting e-business, but it's an ongoing process, as more and more of your activities get electronicized. This tip, which is extracted from The e-Business (r)Evolution, published by Prentice Hall PTR, lists strategies that you can follow each time you begin a new project in e-business.
To succeed with the Internet business it may be helpful to get through the following steps:
- Find a champion - Get the management involved and explain the benefits.
- Plan for change � Technology will change the corporate culture.
- Define a pilot project � Don't try to change everything at once.
- Estimate the costs � Training, maintenance and support will be the majority of costs.
- Measure productivity � Measure it before and after the pilot has been implemented.
- Re-engineer business processes � Make technology part of the business re-engineering process, but don't let it dominate.
- Learn as you go � Make adjustments while you implement.
- Prepare for resistance � People won't' change overnight and organizations are even slower.
This was first published in January 2001